Tuesday 10 January 2012

Coconut Roughs

First of all...THESE ARE THE BEST THINGS EVER. Coconut Roughs are...flakes of coconut and chocolate. There's a shop (which my closest one CLOSED DOWWWN.) which only sells it in the winter, and is quite pricey (honestly not that worth it actually). But what if I want it summer?. Apparently it needs to be cold or something? Well. So...I'm tackling coconut roughs in very, very warm weather.


The first time I made them was when I used dark chocolate instead of milk (because dark is just so much better) and melted it over a double broiler. I then added the coconut and plopped it onto a sheet of greaseproof paper. I ended up with coconut and chocolate puddles. I mean, they tasted good and everything but... So I'm thinking that the coconut released some oil which made the chocolate really runny and also I should have waited longer before spooning it onto the sheet...a bit like a ganache truffle filling I s'pose.



I've also seen some variations online that use copha or a making a toffee thing with sugar, butter and cocoa. It seems overly complex. Simplicity is the key! I wanted to stick to two ingredients... and I was all common sense. I mean, if you are going to make this, you probably don't even need follow any instructions. I'm pretty much just stating the obvious.

By the way, the chocolate I'm using is probably not considered "good-quality" since it only has about 45% cocoa solids, but it's pretty inexpensive and it's really smooth. There's a really popular brand (I dunno if I should mention it or sth...I'm paranoid I can't because blah blah) which is not that cheap and which has a sickly sweet milk chocolate and is really grainy. I can feel...I assume it's the milk powder or the sugar (maybe cocoa?) which isn't fine enough...

Coconut Roughs

Makes about 20

200g dark chocolate
1 cup of desiccated coconut

Melt the dark chocolate over a double broiler (or microwave, but microwave large amounts can easily burn). Let it cool to room temperature (today was about 23 degrees and it took...30-40 minutes?). Add the coconut and fold it in. Place the mixture in the fridge for about 10 minutes, or until quite thick, but not yet solid. Drop teaspoonfuls onto a sheet of greaseproof paper and place in the fridge to set. Once solid, quickly peel them off and store in a pretty jar.

Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think?